Saturday, October 16, 2010

"Online"

I just saw the movie "The Social Network." I was intrigued by the thought process of each individual involved. It was interesting but not surprising how when you factor in money everything that really matters go down the drain. Things like friendships and yourself as a person. The worth of your soul is much less important than the worth of your work, ideas, and overall the worth of your flesh, skin, bone, blood.
"Online." The creation of " The Facebook" was not the first idea of its kind. What I loved most was how people just eat this idea like it was candy. It was--it is so important to stay connected to someone's profile instead of the person himself. The laziness of man is remarkably odd. Perhaps even more hilarious than one would think. What is this constant need for communication. As I sit here and type I wonder if someone will text me. Even notice if I'm breathing. Why is this so?
In one of the trailers for this movie a rendition of the song "Creep" By Radiohead(rendition by Scala and Kolacny Brothers) states the most vital thing that helps us understand this. " I want you to notice/ when I'm not around." Its that need of recognition that keeps us "updating" what we are doing every second even if we know only we care if we are going to swimming practice or getting braces.
We need to log off, shut down, turn off, and disconnect. Go outside and say hi to a neighbor.
Live life in the moment. In the right now. What else is there to text, America?

No comments:

Post a Comment